Friday, September 19, 2008

A Few Things I Love....


  • MY BED!!!....with my Husband snuggled close to me!
  • quiet conversations with my best friend as we fade off to sleep
  • played with toys
  • a noisy home filled with chatter and laughter and even tears....arguments sometimes, learning together how love Jesus more....REAL LIFE....REAL RELATIONSHIPS...growing together more deeply in love
  • my kids running in and out, in circles, all around
  • hearing someone laugh in their sleep
  • kitchen messes after a morning/lunch/dinner of cooking together
  • muddy feet
  • my journal...my personal journal...or one of my books with a scribble or picture or an attempted word written with love and grand artistic creativitiy...carefully crafted by one of my kids
  • things attempted, failed, and....REATTEMPTED confidently
  • a home that is "lived in" (a.k.a. "messy"...at times) that reflects memories being created
  • 3,000 lego pieces on the floor, in the process of becoming what they were created to become (sometime I feel that way about myself)
  • joy and laughter around my dinner table
  • sharing stories...not just the nice, tidy ones, but the ones about mistakes made....ones we've learned to laugh about and enjoy and grow from
  • sweaty kids coming in for a drink of water, a piece of cardboard, and a hammer...or other various things that help them work out their creativity
  • looking out the window just in time to see my son "sled" down the VERY steep DIRT hill on a snow saucer....and realizing he is not injured, mamed, or worse yet....dead!
  • lip "closs" and "glitter-sparkly" on my 4 year old daughter...not quite in all the RIGHT places
  • sitting on the couch together for no reason...huggin', kissin', talking, exchanging hearts
  • pulling rocks and sticks out of my washing machine...and out of the pockets of boys who had lived the adventures of a lifetime with those very rocks and sticks
  • unpacking my suitcases after a summer in Africa and realizing that the soveneirs we most treasured (and brought home) were rocks and sticks....and the lovely memories made with these.
  • children piled in our bed, snuggling, cuddling....laughing...RARELY SLEEPING
  • overhearing my children planning some grand adventure
  • having my heart broken by injustice...being soft enough inside to be affected and moved
  • wiping tears from one of our kid's faces because they,too, have been affected and moved by injustice
  • enjoying the messiness of a FULL LIFE...the good and the bad....the obstacles and the triumphs...the joy of this journey we are on
  • ENJOYING the JOURNEY, at least, learning to enjoy it...more and more. LOOKING for the beauty, the sacred, the holiness God interjects through the noise, the messes, the fatigue. The destination cannot become my main focus...The journey, that place of gathering the treasures He brings me...these treasures on THIS journey will make the arrival to my life's destination meaningful, rich, and full. I want to find beauty and value in the journey...in ALL that He provides for me to make my life rich and full and sweet. I don't want to miss any of it because I am so focused on the "destination"...In fact, sometimes, I think our destination is wrapped so tightly together with our journey that the two are inseparable. Sometimes we miss that fact...and in missing our journey we ultimately miss the real destination God has intended for us.
Just a thought.


4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this, it's really awesome.

Vanessa said...

You are amazing Mary Beth. You're such an inspiration to me.

Weltha said...

It's the SPONSKIS! Mary Beth, I am starting a new blog myself, called "Film, Lit, and More!" Oh, how I remember when we went to Oaxaca...so much fun. Ilove your blog, and I love you.

Weltha

Sheila said...

I love this. I'm considering writing parts of it on my mirror, to remind me each morning to not miss it.