Thursday, February 18, 2010

True Peace

Our time in Sri Lanka was so amazing.   As Seth and I planned this trip into Asia, I was actually quite afraid to travel into this country, but I also knew the Lord had spoken to us about going.  Fear can paralyze us and keep us from doing important, fun, and significant things...at least it has the ability to do so in my life.   If I lived my life based on what the nightly news reported or made decisions about where I'd go and what I'd do based on things I hear about people and places I would probably NEVER leave Tuolumne County.  I am so grateful for the peace I have and the security I have KNOWING that I have a Daddy in heaven who holds me so close to His heart and protects me as I step out to do the things I hear Him asking me to do. 

Sri Lanka ended their civil war last year.  They have been fighting for 30 years. One nation divided and fighting between two different races: the Singhalese (75% of the population and primarily Buddhist) and the Tamil (15% of the population and primarily Hindu).  Now that the war has ended I thought the people would be happy because there is finally peace.  Instead my friend Mona told me that she is really worried about the future for women, for the Tamil people and for Christians.  I realized that I have taken my own peace, safety and sense of security for granted.  I don't know what it would feel like to NOT feel safe.  Mona told me that "Peace is just a word that the the government uses now that the war is over, but the only true peace that we have is the peace and security that come from Jesus."...and she is a such solid woman.  She KNOWS true peace.


We spent 7 1/2 hours on a bus just like this one riding from Colombo to Vavuniya.  It was a LONG, BUMPY, and HILARIOUS ride.  We were soaking wet from the sweat of those around us.  The driver drove around 120 mph (OK...it FELT like 120 mph...but in actuality we only drove 120 miles in 7 1/2 hours...LOL) Literally he honked the horn at people on the road every few minutes of the entire journey.  The only things missing were a few loose chickens running around.This is really normal life for Sri Lankans and as crazy (and sometimes scarey) as it was it was a GREAT experience!




1 comments:

Cindy said...

I cannot even imagine the bus ride. Yikes. The Lord loves a submitted spirit. He has something to work with then.

Love you guys.